Monday, April 27, 2009

The Battle

I woke up this morning and found that a battle was waging. A battle over my day. On this side of the arena we have Satan. In his arsenal he contains all my doubts and fears. Opposite to him is my Heavenly Father. His arsenal is to large to be fully comprehended, let alone mentioned. As my feet hit the floor, I could almost here the bell ring allowing the two to begin. Satan's biggest tool against me is "internal dialog". Boy, he was ready today. Fresh off of a great Sunday service, and ready for this new week, I was blindsided. Floods of self-pitying thoughts began. They all stem back to one general thought/feeling. "God, I have been so obedient lately, how come it is not being noticed." I have a "bully sin" just like we all do. I had committed this to Him and had followed, as of recently, so obediently. "So, why isn't anyone else complimenting and taking notice,especially those closest to me?" This continued as my morning got under way. The same "bully sin" that I had felt so encouraged about last week and had felt so content now that I was doing His will, was now all consuming. But then it happened, a blow to end this battle. This happened as I sat down to have my quiet time. About half way through I read this:
"I am God, your God. I do not rebuke you for your sacrifices, which are ever before me. I have no need of a bull from your stall or of goats from your pens, for every animal of the forest is mine...and the creatures of the field are mine. Sacrifice thank offerings to God... and call on me in the day of trouble: I will deliver you, and you will honor me. " (Ps 50)
I thought of how I was seeking praise for the sacrifices I had made. I had forgotten that those sacrifices were made to Him, not to others. So why was I seeking their praise? I was suddenly confronted by the truth that He does not need my sacrifices, but He does want them (because it is part of a better plan for me). So ultimately this verse is telling me I need to better learn how to offer my thanks to Him during the highs and the lows. And I can be comforted knowing "He will deliver me and will honor me".
This sudden "blow" did not mean that the war was over, but this battle had been won. Satan had lost!!! My day(s) belongs to Him and I had to share this as a praise to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment