Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Remember Them

I recently sat down and visited with a girlfriend whose husband is deployed. I picked her brain and asked how they felt about all that is going on. Her answers were so sweet. Here is a family that is sacrificing so much for so many, and yet they expect nothing in return. (I, on the other hand, take the trash out and think I deserve a parade.) I asked her what some of the hardest parts of the deployment are for her husband. One thing she talked about is how (where he is stationed) he sees the fallen soldiers come through daily. Yes, daily. Sure the media has stopped showing the names of the fallen, but that doesn't mean that men and women are not still laying down their lives for the freedoms that you and I enjoy. We can not forget that they are still over there, without their families at Christmas, and putting everything on the line.

What can we do to support these amazing individuals?

1) There are many organizations accepting donations for the troops. It's just everyday stuff like toothbrushes, cds, and tissues that they want.

2) We also need to be informed and involved. Find out who your elected officials are and what they stand for. Write emails to your Senators and Congressmen letting them know how you want them to vote. Remember, they represent you, so tell them how you feel.

3) Pray. Pray for the soldiers. Pray for their families. Pray for the witness they can be to others around them. Pray for the natives of those countries and that their hearts would be turned to Christ.

4) And, as my friend said to me the other day, "If you want a godly nation filled with those whose hearts are turned to Christ, witness to your neighbor." I was so moved by this. Being active is great, but God's work in the hearts of those around me will be what brings about real and lasting change in our nation. What better time to talk to your neighbors, or a cashier, or the mailman, or anyone about Christ than at Christmas time?


I am so thankful for the freedoms that our family enjoys and grateful to the men and women who sacrifice it all to make those freedoms possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment