Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mom Talk

Last night our church held a session called Mom Talk. It was a time for moms in different stages to come together and encourage each other. This was my first time to attend one of these session, and boy did I need it. After days of snow and being trapped in with kiddos, I needed some mom time. The leader of our group asked us different questions and we would share our own experiences with each other. Here are some of the questions that were asked:

What is the greatest advice you ever received as a mother?

I shared that the best advice I ever got came from my mom. She once said to me, "Is this a ditch you want to die in?" I am a black and white person most of the time. This reminds me that somethings are gray, and I have to decide to pick my battle with my kids.
One of the other ladies shared her greatest advice was, "Whatever you stay up late to do, and whatever you'll loose sleep over is what is most important to you. So what is most important to you?" This grabbed my attention. Bed time has been such a struggle lately, not because of the kids, but because of my attitude. I confess, I just want to hurry up and get it over with. I want to get downstairs, sit down with my honey, and relax watching tv. But, this advice reminded me to grab hold of those selfish thoughts and slow down and enjoy this time because it will not last forever. I am showing my girls, with my attitude, that they are not as important to me as my relaxation time is. I am purposing to slow down and go back to ending their days with mommy's love, not my impatience.

What do you do to unwind?

I touched on what I do to unwind above. I cherish my time with Scott at night after everyone else has gone to bed. This is my time with my best friend. I love telling the girls that he is my best friend. We also have one hour a day where each of the girls go to a different room for reading time. Even my little ones who cannot read yet spend time looking at the pictures so that mommy can have some quiet time to recharge.

Where do you find your gratification?

Outside of the Lord of course, I get my encouragement from Scott. I soak it up when he comments on even the littlest things. I am so praise oriented that I can live on a compliment for three days.

What is your greatest desire for your kids?

Salvation first. Then I greatly desire for them to have a deep relationship with the Lord. I want Him to be so real to them. I want them to know Him, and love Him, and share Him with all those around them. They are growing up in a harder world then we even did, so they need to hold fast to Him.


This was a great time sharing our hearts as mothers. Moms should encourage each other more. Some times as moms we feel like if our kids fail, than we have failed. Some of my failures in life have brought me closer to God. I want them to stand strong, but when they fall I want them to land in His hands.

So, who are you encouraging? Are you looking for those around you that are a few steps behind you in life that you could encourage?

How would you answer the questions above? Any great advice for this mom? I want to glean from all those around me. I am not a perfect mom. I am constantly changing as God changes me and as He changes them.

I don't know all my readers, but I am praying for you. I am praying that you are encouraged and that you will encourage others.

No comments:

Post a Comment